West Hartford Criminal Defense Attorney
Fighting For and Protecting the Rights of Citizens of West Hartford, CT
When the Police Come Knocking, Call Our Criminal Defense Attorney in West Hartford
Crime continues to boom in Hartford, and some of it spills into our quiet community five miles away in West Hartford. With such a large city nearby, public officials are nervous about any increase in crime, and they are often very aggressive prosecuting even minor infractions. This “tough on crime” attitude leads to stiff penalties and for cases where the evidence is very weak.
If you have been charged with a crime, or if the police have visited to ask questions, you should schedule a meeting with Tehrani Law Group. Our West Hartford criminal defense attorney can ensure you don’t say anything you might regret later.
Criminal Penalties are Steep
- Class A Misdemeanor: Maximum one year in jail and $2,000 fine. Prostitution is an example of a Class A misdemeanor.
- Class B Misdemeanor: Maximum six months in jail and $1,000 fine. An example is indecent exposure.
- Class C Misdemeanor: Maximum three months in jail and $500 fine. Examples include disorderly conduct and theft of goods valued at $500 or less.
- Class D Misdemeanor: Maximum 30 days in jail and/or $250 fine.
Sometimes a crime that is typically a Class A misdemeanor will be charged as a felony due to aggravating circumstances. Felonies carry steeper penalties:
- Capital felony: Life in prison with no possibility of parole. Murder with special circumstances.
- Class A felony: maximum of life in prison and fine up to $20,000. Crimes include kidnapping and sexual assault of a child under 12.
- Class B felony: 1-40 years in prison and $15,000 fine. First degree manslaughter and theft of at least $20,000 in goods are Class B felonies.
- Class C felony: 1-10 years in prison and $10,000 fine. Theft of a firearm and bribery are examples.
- Class D felony: 1-5 years in prison and $5,000 fine. Participation in prize fighting and misconduct with a vehicle are Class D felonies.
How a West Hartford Criminal Defense Attorney Can Help
The right attorney makes a big difference in any criminal case. Many convictions are secured when a suspect makes some admission or hands over some incriminating evidence, relieving the police of having to do any detective work. Our lawyer can meet with you and attend any interrogation to ensure you say as little as possible.
If arrested, we can help secure your release on bond. This will allow you to attend school or work while your case works its way through the system.
We can also poke holes in the prosecutor’s case and, where appropriate, argue for a dismissal or a favorable plea deal. Some prosecutors pretend that they have a stronger case than they do—and we let them know that we are not afraid of going to court, if necessary, to vindicate our client.
An attorney can also make a big difference if you are convicted and sentenced. Judges have discretion about the penalties they impose. If you have a criminal record, then you are looking at possibly the maximum for each crime. We can explain why you deserve leniency.
Speak with a West Hartford Criminal Defense Lawyer Today
No one accused of a crime should try to represent themselves. Call Tehrani Law Group today to schedule a meeting with a seasoned criminal defense lawyer. We’ve got your back.