Were you involved in a car crash at an intersection in New Britain or elsewhere in Hartford County? You are certainly not alone. Intersections are the most common location for multi-vehicle collisions in Connecticut. At Tehrani Law Group, LLC, a significant portion of our entire legal practice is devoted to handling motor vehicle accident claims. We fight hard to protect the rights and interests of victims and families. Here, our New Britain car accident lawyer provides an overview of the key things to know about intersection accident claims .
Know Your Rights and Duties Under Connecticut Law
Following an intersection crash in New Britain, it is imperative that you take immediate action to protect your health, well-being, and ability to secure financial compensation for your losses. Here are some of the most important things that you should know about your rights and your responsibilities under Connecticut state law:
- You must stop your vehicle. All drivers in multi-vehicle crashes are required to exchange information with other drivers and remain at the scene (except for emergencies).
- You have a right to seek professional medical care. All intersection accident injuries in New Britain should be evaluated by a doctor.
- You should report the crash. All accidents that result in injuries should be reported to state or local law enforcement authorities, such as the New Britain Police Department.
An Overview of the Most Common Causes of Intersection Accident
Many multi-vehicle collisions happen at our around intersections. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducted a comprehensive review and analysis of how and why these accidents occur. A variety of factors can contribute to intersection accidents. Some of the most common causes of intersection crashes include:
- Inadequate Visibility: Poor lighting, obstructed views, or inclement weather can reduce visibility, making it difficult for drivers to see other vehicles or pedestrians at intersections.
- Failing to Yield: Disregarding traffic signs or signals, such as stop signs or red lights, can result in collisions at intersections.
- Distracted Driving: Texting, talking on the phone, or engaging in other activities while driving can lead to inattentiveness and subsequent intersection accidents.
- Speeding: Excessive speed reduces the time a driver has to react to potential hazards, increasing the likelihood of intersection accidents.
- Tailgating: Following too closely behind another vehicle can make it difficult for drivers to see and react to traffic signals, leading to collisions.
- Turning Across Oncoming Traffic: Misjudging the speed and distance of oncoming vehicles can lead to collisions when turning left at intersections.
- Impaired Driving: Alcohol or drug use can impair a driver’s judgment, reaction time, and decision-making abilities, leading to intersection accidents.
- Poor Intersection Design: Inadequate signage, confusing layouts, or limited sightlines can contribute to intersection accidents.
Connecticut is a Fault-Based Auto Accident State (Providing Liability)
New Britain car accident claims fall under Connecticut law. The state of Connecticut operates under a fault-based system for motor vehicle collisions—meaning that the party responsible for causing the accident is also responsible for compensating any injured parties. It is this system that establishes liability and dictates how insurance claims and lawsuits are handled following a collision.
Connecticut is a comparative negligence state. Each party to an intersection accident is responsible for their “share” of the blame for the wreck. All intersection collisions in New Britain should be thoroughly investigated by a lawyer. Our attorney can help you proactively gather and organize the evidence that you need to establish fault and prove liability.
Recovering Financial Compensation for an Intersection Accident in New Britain
Following an intersection crash in New Britain, it is imperative that injured victims are able to secure the full and just financial compensation they deserve under Connecticut law. Our New Britain car accident lawyer fights to help victims maximize their settlement or verdict. Compensation may be available for the following types of losses:
- Vehicle repairs;
- Emergency room care;
- Hospital bills;
- Health care costs;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Disability/disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death damages.
Get Help From Our New Britain Car Accident Attorney Today
At Tehrani Law Group, LLC, our New Britain auto accident lawyer is a devoted advocate for justice. If you or your family member was hurt at a crash at an intersection, our legal team is more than ready to help. Contact us right away to set up your no cost, no obligation consultation. We handle car crash claims in New Britain, Hartford County, and throughout the surrounding region.